Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Why share the message of heart health for women? Answer: The chance to save someone you love. Go RED!

As February 1st signals the beginning of American Heart Month, so many across the nation are anticipating the celebration of Wear Red Day on Friday, February 3rd. You can bet I'll be doing my part and volunteering my efforts to share the message, and of course it is motivated by the care that I have for those close to me -- wanting them to know how important it is to pay attention to their
heart health.

Sometimes the mission and efforts of many organizations go without notice to those who have not had the experience of someone close having difficulties -- a very sad idea, but true. However, that's the shining light behind the mission of Go RED for Women, don't wait until it's too late -- learn and be aware before it can happen. As with anything, education is always key. I am happy to have helped promote Go Red for Women through the International Pageant System for several years.

But here's where my interaction with promoting heart health becomes real. 
Meet my good friend Camille. 


Camille and I work together at Egyptian Health Department, and like the other ladies in the office, we enjoy Camille's calm and yet spunky attitude while she dedicates her time to intervening with community crisis calls. Just like the rest of us working and taking care of our families, she felt tired a lot, but was also realizing that she was short of breath very easily with tasks that should not be causing that feeling. Taking charge of her health, she went to her doctor who diagnosed her with mild aortic stenosis. Still taking charge (and thank goodness she did) she pushed her doctor to perform a stress test which then showed a possible blockage. She was scheduled for a heart cath, and when she went we were all very concerned for her and awaited the results. The test showed that she had a 90% blockage in two places of her main artery -- a condition that is termed as "the widow maker"-- as in if she had a heart attack, she would not have made it to the hospital in time to save her life. The next day she was scheduled for an immediate double by-pass.
I am happy to say that this past January 3rd, Camille joined us back at the office. Tragedy averted, but only because she took charge of something that she felt was not right about her body. I hope that I can be like that. Too many times, like many other women, I have too many things to do and don't take care of myself as I should -- again the message of Go RED -- take the time to be sure your heart is healthy because it is not something to dismiss until later. Stress, anxiety, eating on the run, and sacrificing sleep hours to catch up can take a toll on anyone and I definitely fit that part. How about you? How about someone close to you? Take action for yourself or a loved one and share the message of Go Red and the American Heart Association. It's easy to do and here is the link to prove it...

1 comment:

  1. I have the great priviledge of working with both Kristin and Camille, and am fortunate enough to call them friends. At our agency, we are a close-knit group and when one hurts, we all hurt. I am just so thankful that God has blessed us by saving Camille's life. Becasue it truly was nothing short of a miracle that she survived. And like Kristin said, were it not for Camille's tenacity and taking control and responsibility for her own healthcare, we might have lost her. Thanks for bringing this to our attention and remembrance, Kristin! I'll be wearing red tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete